7245: Career and Technical Certificate (420 Clock Hours)
FL CIP: 0743010200
This program is designed for students who seek certification as correctional officers. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the state’s certification examination. The program is certified by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, P.O. Box 1489, Tallahassee, FL 32302- 1489, telephone 850-410-8600.
Learn more about corrections training at CF.edu/PublicService.
This program is upward compatible with an Associate in Science degree. Contact the Financial Aid Office for clarification of financial aid eligibility.
Note: Chapter 790.23 F.S. prohibits the possession of a firearm or ammunition by a person who as a juvenile was found to have committed a delinquent act that would be a felony if committed by an adult until the person is 24 years of age. This would require the applicant to wait until they are 24 to attend the basic recruit training.
To apply for admission into the Correctional Officer or Law Enforcement Officer certificate program, each applicant must:
- be at least 19 years of age prior to completing the program
- be a citizen of the United States
- possess a high school diploma or GED
- not have been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement
- not have been discharged dishonorably from the military (if applicable)
- be of good moral character
- pass a background investigation
- pass a physical examination by a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.), physician’s assistant, or an authorized advanced registered nurse practitioner within six months of the start of class
- be in good academic standing at College of Central Florida
- must pass the Corrections version of the Florida Basic Abilities Test, COBAT
In addition, the applicant must submit:
- a copy of scores on the COBAT for Corrections which must be less than four years old (from the start of class)
- a completed/signed College of Central Florida Criminal Justice Institute Applicant Questionnaire
Note: All the above information must be submitted as a package. Admission to the program will be based on:
- review of package
- completed questionnaire
- medical examination
- background investigation