7248: Career and Technical Certificate (518 Clock Hours)
FL CIP: 0743010702
This program is designed for a student who has a Florida correctional officer’s certification and seeks to become a Florida law enforcement officer. Students who successfully complete this program and pass the State Officer Certification Examination typically work as municipal, county, or state law enforcement officers.
This program is upward compatible with an Associate in Science degree. Contact the Financial Aid Office for clarification of financial aid eligibility.
Note: Chapter 790.23 F.S. prohibits the possession of a firearm or ammunition by a person who as a juvenile was found to have committed a delinquent act that would be a felony if committed by an adult until the person is 24 years of age. This would require the applicant to wait until they are 24 to attend the basic recruit training.
To apply for admission into the Crossover from Correctional Officer to Law Enforcement Officer certificate program, each applicant must:
- be at least 19 years of age prior to completing the program
- be a citizen of the United States
- possess a high school diploma or GED
- not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement
- not have been discharged dishonorably from the military (if applicable)
- be of good moral character
- pass a background investigation
- pass a physical examination by a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.), physician’s assistant, or an authorized advanced registered nurse practitioner within six months of the start of class
- be in good academic standing at College of Central Florida
- must pass the Law Enforcement version of the Florida Basic Abilities Test, LEBAT
In addition, the applicant must submit:
- a copy of scores on the LEBAT for law Enforcement which must be less than four years old (from the start of class)
- a completed/signed College of Central Florida Criminal Justice Institute Applicant Questionnaire
Note: All the above information must be submitted as a package. Admission to the program will be based on:
- review of package
- completed questionnaire
- medical examination
- background investigation